Google My Business not only puts your business on the Google Map it also gives you a Free Business Listing in Google with a connected profile, Googe MyBusiness is by far more important than a Facebook Business Page.
Not only is it free, it only takes a few minutes to set up. Make sure your potential customers can quickly and easily find your business’s location on a map, view your hours (if applicable), phone number, get directions, ask questions and other handy information. Let’s get started!
First of all, make sure your business doesn’t already have a Business Page.
Head to www.google.co.nz and search for your business name.
You should get an empty space on the right side, shown below.
If nothing comes up, skip to step 1 below, if you see your business listing, someone has either set this up in the past or Google has made this for you.
If Google has made this for you, you should be able to claim your Business Listing by clicking on the “Own this Business?” link shown below. Follow the steps to claim your listing. If this option is unavailable, try logging in using your Google Account to see if you have access to the listing here httpss://www.google.com/business/
Setting up from Scratch
- Head to the Google My Business registration page and click “Get on Google” in the top right.
- Sign in to your business’s Google account. If you don’t already have one, click “Create an account now” and follow the registration process.
- Once you are signed in, you’ll be directed to a page with a search field, type the name of your business into the search field and hit “enter”.
- Google might suggest a few businesses in its database. If one of those businesses is yours, click on it otherwise, ensure your business name is entered as you want it to be displayed to your customers. Then hit Next.
- Then enter your Business Category, you must choose one from Google’s list. Start typing to see the available options. You can add more categories later. Hit Next.
- The next screen gives you the option of showing your physical address to your potential customer if you have a store or an office. If you are mobile and don’t want to share your address, like a plumber, select no then click next.
- Enter your Address or Service area on the next screen then hit next. You can enter multiple service areas if you want.
- Next, enter your preferred business contact number and website address. Press next. Then Click Finish.
- You will now need to go through the verification process, where Google contacts you to check that you’re a legitimate business and that you’re authorised to claim its listing. You’ll be given a “Verify by postcard” and maybe also a “Verify by phone” option. Click the one that you prefer or is available to you. The phone method is instantaneous, but it isn’t always given as an option. Google will give you a number to enter and this verifies that you are a legitimate business and that specific address. The Postcard can take up to 2 weeks to arrive.
- Once you receive the verification postcard or phone call from Google, enter the PIN number they give you and click “Go”.
- A verification notification will pop up. Click “OK”.
- Your business is now listed, but we’re not quite done just yet. In your Google MyBusiness Dashboard, click on info. From here you can add your logo, business hours, disctription, products/services, photos and more.
Make sure you keep your Google MyBusiness up to date and current.